The EPEC 2022 organizing committee is proud to announce the 3-Minute Thesis (3MT) Presentation Competition. This competition is an opportunity for students to showcase the innovation and impact of their research to a wider audience of the power and energy engineering community.
Participants have 3 minutes to present their research to a panel of non-specialist judges. The challenge is to present complex technical information in an engaging, accessible, and compelling way.
The participant should be an undergraduate, master’s or PhD student (who is officially enrolled as a student as of December 1, 2022).
Participants must submit their 3-Minute video by December 20, 2022, 23: 59 (EST).
Rules for the Competition
- Participants submit a pre-recorded presentation video to the conference.
- Presentation videos are limited to 3 minutes maximum.
- Only one static PowerPoint slide is permitted per presentation.
- The competition will be in English.
- No additional electronic media (e.g., sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g., costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- The decision of the judging panel is final.
Submit an abstract including the title, presenter name(s), university, a summary (100 to 200 words) of your talk, and the presentation video through the EDAS system.
- Go to EDAS for EPEC 2022 (https://edas.info/N30020) and register a new submission. After registration, please ensure that the track for your submission is “Three-Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition“.
- Go to My Papers in EDAS (https://www.edas.info/).
- Click on your paper title and upload your MP4 or QuickTime video file (3 mins) to your paper record via the “Presentation” option.
Participants in the 3MT Presentation Competition will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
1. Aim and description of the research: Clear explanation of hypothesis, objectives, and the specific research questions being tackled; methods used to answer the research questions; result (if available).
2. Novelty and impact: Originality of research, its relevance, and potential impact.
3. Presentation: Communication skills, effective use of visuals, accessibility of presentation, and audience engagement.
The competition results will be announced online at https://epec2022.ieee.ca/ by December 31, 2022. The winners will be contacted by the conference organizing committee directly.